Financial Transaction Codes

USC uses financial transaction codes (FTCodes) to:

  • Bill students for tuition and fees
  • Apply financial aid, payments and other credits
  • Convey information to the university’s general ledger

Attached to each transaction in the student account is an FTCode that describes the:

  • Type of transaction
  • People or processes authorized to use it
  • General ledger account
  • Object code to be debited or credited
  • Other important information as described in BUR.D.FTCODE documentation

Bursar Administration creates and maintains all USC FTCodes.

Nearly every FTCode is associated with a specific academic term and consists of a four-character “mask” reused each term, plus a five-digit term number. Once a mask is created, Bursar Administration generates a new FTCode for each term. For example, a fee for a widget might have a mask of T953. To charge for a widget in fall 2017, the user would enter T95320173 as the FTCode.

To request a new FTCode mask, complete the New FTCode Request Form. Each request is reviewed by a governance committee; you will be notified by email when a decision has been made. Requests for new FTCode masks must be submitted at least 60 days before the beginning of the term in which they will first be used to ensure that students are assessed on their first term bill.

Financial aid FTCodes cannot be requested using this form. To request a new financial aid code, contact the Aid Coordination Unit in the Office of Financial Aid. Once the Office of Financial Aid has created the award code and it has been used by the department, Bursar Administration generates an FTCode. Please allow two business days after you have used your new award code.

Types of FTCodes that can be requested using the New FTCode Request Form include:

  • Lab and other class fees associated with one or more specific class sections
    • By mandate from the Office of the Provost, fees may not be assessed on class numbers below 500.
    • Fees on class numbers 500 and above must be approved in advance by the Office of the Provost.
  • Session fees that will be charged to all graduate students in one or more specific sessions (must be approved in advance by the Office of the Provost)
  • Fees for auxiliary units such as Housing, Transportation, USCard and the Engemann Student Health Center
  • Commitment deposits

USC does not bill student accounts for extracurricular, recreation or social activities, or for non-USC entities.

Documentation and additional information on the following process are available:
Understanding FTCodes — BUR.D.FTCODE