Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA) is responsible for all post-award billing on sponsored accounts.

Billing Types


Cost-reimbursable awards are set up with one of the following billing frequencies:

  • Monthly
  • Quarterly
  • Semi-annually
  • Annually
  • Drawdown (expense incurred until the day before billing)
  • Milestones schedule (amount associated with a task or deliverable)


Fixed-price/rate awards are set up with predetermined schedule (PS) or milestone schedule (MS) billing frequencies.

SPA submits invoices to the sponsor at the end of the grant, by scheduled installments or upon task completion, depending on the sponsor-awarded agreement.

Department Responsibilities

Direct the following documentation and any inquiries to the SPA Contracts and Grants Billing (CGB) fund manager listed in SPA 360.

Milestone schedule invoices

  • SPA must receive confirmation from the principal investigator (PI)/department confirming that the deliverable/task is complete.
  • SPA will send a reminder email notification to the PI a month before the invoice is due.
  • Once confirmed, SPA will proceed with invoicing.

Additional documentation

  • Some invoices require further documentation, such as the time and effort report.
  • You must submit any required documentation before SPA can submit the invoice.

Payment received

If your department receives a payment from the sponsor, you must forward the payment and a copy of the invoice, if available, to SPA.

To locate a payment, check with the sponsor to determine whether the payment was sent to the general wire or the SPA wire.

  • General wire – contact Bank Reconciliations
  • SPA wire – contact SPA

Invoice templates

If you receive invoicing templates from your sponsor, you must provide them to SPA. If no template is provided, SPA will use the university’s default template.

The university’s invoice template includes the following major spending categories:

  • Salary
  • Fringe benefit
  • Professional services/consultants
  • Subcontract
  • Student aid/fellowship – stipends
  • Student aid/fellowship – tuition and fees
  • Materials and supplies
  • Facilities/utilities
  • Lease
  • In/outpatient care
  • Equipment
  • Travel
  • Vacation
  • Indirect costs

General University Billing Information

Tax information

For tax information, such as W-9, 501 (c)(3) IRS determination letter and employer identification number (EIN), contact the Office of Comptroller.

Bank verification letters

For bank verification letters, contact the USC Treasury.

General institutional information

For codes, automated clearing house (ACH), electronic transfer and related university information, refer to the Department of Contracts and Grants website.