Search  ·  Home    
Student Financial Services
Division of Financial and Business Services

Collections Hold

Please note that a 'collections hold' (also called an activity restriction) may block your access to certain University services, including registration, transcripts, USCard, housing and others. 

If any charge remains unpaid past the due date for the student account statement
on which it first appeared, or if any charge remains unpaid by the fall/spring settlement deadline,
the account moves into collection status, at which time an activity restriction (collections hold)
may be entered and the account may be subject to late penalties, returned item and other fees. 
Or, if you made a payment which was 'rejected' by your bank,
a returned item 'collections hold' may be placed on your student account.

Ways to get a collections hold removed:

  • If you have been awarded Financial Aid (including: Loans, Grants, or Scholarships) and it has not yet been posted to your account, please contact the Office of Financial Aid for assistance.
  • If you are expecting Graduate Tuition Assistance from a department, please contact your academic department for assistance.
  • Contact the University Collections Office (see below) to make arrangements to pay the balance due, or discuss the collections hold.
  • Pay the balance due on your student account. See also: about Past-Due Accounts...

You may contact University Collections as follows:

  • By email: (provide name, USC-ID, USC email, and problem description)
  • By fax: 213-740-0424 (provide name, USC-ID, USC email, and problem description)
  • By Phone: 213-740-9087
    ( or, from outside California and within the U.S.: 1-800-847-6651 )
  • In person:
    University Collections
    Parking Structure B, Suite 100
    1150 West Jefferson Blvd.
    Los Angeles, CA  90089-1053