Student Account Refunds
Students who have signed up for eRefunds on USCe.pay do not need to submit refund requests because their student accounts are checked on a daily basis for any eligible credit balance.
Refunds for additional charges, including but not limited to, housing and meal plans will be determined by the office assessing the charge. In the event of a revocation of registration, 100% of any tuition paid for that semester will be first applied to any outstanding debt and any remaining credit will be available for refund. Students must request refunds from the Cashier's Office (unless they have signed up for e-Refunds, also known as Direct Deposit).
Requesting a Refund
- If you have an active payment plan your refund request must go to Student Financial Services at: (213) 740-4077, or you may send an email to: email@example.com (be sure to include your USC-ID and name).
- Check Refund (when credit balance is NOT the result of Debit/Credit Card payment)
Fill out our web form to submit a check refund request at: www.usc.edu/dept/fbs/sfs/forms/refreq
- Debit or Credit Card payments
Submit debit/credit card refund request at: www.usc.edu/dept/fbs/sfs/forms/refreq-cc
About Refunds and Loans
Financial Aid recipients may be entitled to receive a refund if their aid exceeds their tuition charges.
- If you have a credit balance as a result of a PLUS parent loan, and your parent(s) requested that any refund be returned to them, you will not receive the refund because a Bursar refund will be processed automatically and mailed to the parent(s). This type of refund is processed in 2-5 business days.
- If you would like to cancel or reduce your student loan(s), please contact the Financial Aid Office. You may contact them directly by email on the Financial Aid HELP page at: http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/general/help-contact-us-general , or by phone at (213) 740-4444.
Important facts about Refunds
- We DO NOT process eRefunds for accounts paid by WIRE TRANSFER.
You have 2 options: leave the wire in your account for future charges or we can return the entire wire back to the originator.
- Fall / Spring refunds may be requested beginning the Wednesday before the start of classes.
- Summer refunds are available beginning the first day of class.
- Checks / eChecks: Payments made by check and online USCe.pay eCheck payments require 10 business days after they are received (to clear your bank) to become eligible for a refund.
- Students who have NOT signed up for the eRefund service must request any refunds (see 'Requesting a Refund')
Refund Processing Time
||eRefund setup and 1st refund for NEW applicants (or bank account change):
Online sign ups for our eRefund (direct deposit) service require 2 business days for handling as we do a pre-notification (electronically notify your bank that we will be sending refunds to your account). Once the pre-notification process has completed, any pending refund requests may begin processing (which take an additional 2-3 business days).
||eRefunds (when no debit / credit card payments were used):
Once you see the "Cashier's Office" refund on your student account, your refund has been processed and submitted to your bank. The money will be posted to your bank account 2-3 business days later, depending on your bank (i.e.: Refunds processed on Fridays should be available by Wednesday. Refunds processed on Monday should be available by Thursday). These refunds are processed automatically.
||Credit Card / Debit Card refunds:
If you signed up for the eRefund / direct deposit service, but settled any portion of your student account with a debit/credit card, the debit/credit card must be credited back first (per banking guidelines). Debit/Credit Card refund processing time is 7–10 business days. Any additional monies may then be processed as an eRefund (if you have signed up for that service), or a mailed check refund.
||Check refunds (by mail only):
Your refund may take up to a minimum of an additional 10 business days for processing and mailing (longer if mailed outside US). These refunds are processed on-demand, ie: they must be requested.
Cancellation of Enrollment / Withdrawals
To withdraw or cancel enrollment, please see: Schedule of Classes > Enrollment/Registration > Cancellation of Enrollment
For information about Medical Withdrawals (Tuition Refund Insurance), please see: Registrar > USC Tuition Refund Insurance Program.