Search  ·  Home    
Student Financial Services
Division of Financial and Business Services

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get in touch with the Collections Office regarding my hold, past due account or rejected payment?

Please note that a 'collections hold' (also called an activity restriction) may block your access to certain University services, including registration, transcripts, USCard, housing and others.  If any charge remains unpaid past the due date for the student account statement on which it first appeared, the account moves into collection status, at which time an activity restriction (collections hold) may be entered and the account may be subject to late penalties, returned item and other fees.  Or, if you made a payment which was 'rejected' by your bank, a returned item 'collections hold' may be placed on your student account.

Ways to get a collections hold removed:

  • If you have been awarded Financial Aid (including: Loans, Grants, or Scholarships) and it has not yet been posted to your account, please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information.
  • If you are expecting Graduate Tuition Assistance from a department, please contact your academic department for assistance.
  • Contact the University Collections Office to make arrangements to pay the balance due, or discuss the collections hold, as follows:
    • By email: (provide name, USC-ID, USC email, and problem description)
    • By fax: 213-740-0424 (provide name, USC-ID, USC email, and problem description)
    • By Phone: 213-740-9087
      ( or, from outside California and within the U.S.: 1-800-847-6651 )
    • In person:

      University Collections
      Parking Structure B, Suite 100
      1150 West Jefferson Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA  90089-1053 

      Our customer service window is on the first floor of the Parking Structure B building,
      just west of the Lyon Center.  see campus map

Categories: Accounts, Holds, Past Due Balances, Payments