Search  ·  Home    
Student Financial Services
Division of Financial and Business Services

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I correct my (name, birthdate, USC-ID, SSN, ITIN) information on USC'S records?

If for any reason, you are not able to make a payment to your account using,
avoid LATE FEES by using one of our other Payment Options.

You may request a correction of your name by contacting the Office of Academic Records and Registrar, (the "Request for change/correction of Student Number/Name" form is available in the SAS Lobby). The request must be accompanied by a court order, valid driver's license, certificate of naturalization, certificate of marriage, or by some other form of positive identification. A photo I.D. must also be presented. A change of name will be processed only for students who have an active academic record and are currently pursuing a degree program. At the time of graduation or program abandonment, academic records are closed and no further changes in the record may occur. The name on the record at that time becomes the permanent name of record. Permanent names of record on closed academic records are not changed as the result of divorce decrees, marriage certificates or court ordered name changes.

USC-ID (student account number):

If your USC-ID (student account) number has been changed, the next time a financial transaction is posted to your student account, a new access profile will be created for you.

Please note that if you have any guest users set up on OASIS or on, you will need to verify that their online access is still set up correctly and has not been affected by the change in your USC-ID.

If you are a new student, you will not be able to access until you have charges posted to your account, or unless you have already paid a commitment deposit and it has posted to your student account.  For students who registered early: Fall & Spring tuition fees are not posted until approximately 1 month prior to the start of classes.


To correct your birthdate, it is best if you can go to the Transcript and Verifications window in the lobby of the Student Administrative Services (SAS) building (see N-11/12 on Campus map). They will require a photo ID such as your driver's license, and some proof of your birthdate in order to update your student record. Otherwise, contact the Office of the Registrar by phone: (213) 740-8500, M-F 8:30 am to 5 pm (PST), or by email at: . An invalid or missing birthdate may prevent you from logging into or accessing

Social Security Number (SSN) or ITIN (Tax ID number):

1) Provide the correct SSN/ ITIN to the Registrar's Office or submit a Form W-9S (to request an ITIN) to the Registrar's Office.

2) If you need a 2013 1098-T and you do not have a valid SSN / ITIN on file with USC:

  • (BEFORE December 31, 2013)
    Provide the correct SSN/ ITIN to the Registrar's Office or submit a Form W-9S to the Registrar's Office.
  • (AFTER January 1, 2014)
    Submit a Form W-9S to the Registrar's Office and email with your USC-Id and a request to create a 1098-T form for you for the previous year.
Correcting 2013 tax form information: 1098-T's (requests must be submitted by 12/31/2013)

In prior years, USC has voluntarily provided a 1098-T to every international student with qualifying charges regardless of status. This year (2013) we are changing our procedures. Only international students who have provided us with an ITIN will automatically be provided with the form.

If you will not need a 1098-T for 2013, you do not need to do anything. If you will need a 1098-T, you may request it simply by providing us with your SSN or ITIN no later than 12/31/2013. In order to comply with IRS regulations, we are asking that you complete Parts I & III of IRS Form W-9S, Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification which can be found on the I.R.S. website at . Enter your 10-digit USC-ID number under "Tuition account number" in Part III. This will ensure that if you are eligible for a tax credit, your form will issued.

Because the University of Southern California is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information, we ask that you do not send us your information via email. Please submit the completed form to a Registrar representative at the REG (Registration Building) service counter or mail to:

Office of the Registrar
University of Southern California
University Park Campus
700 Childs Way, JHH-106
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0912

If you prefer, you may fax your completed form to 213-740-5986.

If you fail to provide a correct SSN before December 31, 2013, you may be subject to a fine by the IRS. In addition, your Form 1098-T will not be filed with your correct taxpayer ID number which will result in delays in filing your or your parents' taxes. Requests to correct the number after the fact can take several weeks to complete.

If you request a form by providing us with your taxpayer identification number, we also recommend that you sign up for electronic delivery of your form. This prevents your personal information from being sent in the mail and gives you the earliest possible access to your information online. Please visit our website at for more information on electronic delivery consent and other 1098-T related topics.

Once you provide the Office of the Registrar with your W-9S form, no further action is required on your part. We monitor records of all students with forms in the current reporting period and will correct your 1098-T after your SSN/ITIN has been recorded on your USC student record. ECSI will notify you by email when your corrected 1098-T is available for you to download. Please allow up to ten business days for the correction to be made.

If you have student loans and the University is your lender, please contact ECSI for assistance.


See also:

Categories: Student Accounts, e.Pay (, Social Security Numbers, Taxes & Tax Credits