Search  ·  Home
Division of Financial and Business Services HELP > Title IV

Title IV Funds Authorization

Each year, students awarded Perkins, LDS & HPSL loans receive an email from ECSI,
our loan provider, about e-signing 'promissory notes' when the loan funds become available.
You will NOT be able to access Title IV authorization until that time.
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid if you have any questions about loans...
Title IV aid cannot be posted to student accounts until 10 days prior to the start of classes
(Pell Grants, TEACH Grants, Federal Perkins Loans, and Federal Direct Loans) per Federal guidelines.
Review/update your Title IV Funds authorization on, making sure to:
answer ALL three questions, enter USC-ID and your initials, and click "Update"!

Title IV funds are financial aid which include: Pell, SEOG, PLUS, FFELP, Perkins, Stafford loans, TEACH grants, and work-study programs. Federal Regulations require that Title IV funds be automatically applied to allowable fees such as tuition, room and board, and mandatory fees. However, the university must obtain your authorization to apply your Title IV financial aid to all other charges appearing on your student account.  The university also must receive credit balance authorization in order to process a refund of any excess monies.

For your convenience, the homepage displays any Title IV choices you may have made previously. The Title IV box appears in the lower right on the homepage and may look like these screenshots (depending on whether you have entered your preferences):

BEFORE entering Title IV choices: AFTER entering Title IV choices:
sample Title IV box sample Title IV box
On the 'your account' homepage, click on the "Update Title IV preferences" link at the bottom of the Title IV box to update:
    Federal Title IV financial aid funds are restricted to payment of current period tuition, fees, room and board. Students may authorize use of these funds for prior period expenses.
    Program regulations permit students to authorize use of Title IV financial aid funds for non-institutional charges such as books, and miscellaneous fines (e.g. parking and library fines). If you are eligible for Federal financial aid in excess of tuition and fees, and you wish to use this excess to cover other charges, you must authorize the school to pay these charges.
    Once Federal Title IV financial aid funds are disbursed to your student account to be applied to tuition, fees, room and board, those funds may exceed those charges. Students may choose to leave those funds on their student account for future charges.

In order to save updates to your Title IV Authorization you will need to:

  1. e-sign your acceptance by entering your 10 digit student ID #
  2. click "Update"


 See also: